Search by Recipe or Ingredient

2.24.2010

Book 8 Chapter 8 - Kapusta and This Recipe Was So Vile I Don't Even Want to Talk About the Book


Book: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Recipes: Kaputsa


Kaputsa 
2 lbs. sauerkraut
1 med. onion
1/2 head cabbage, shredded
1 med. Granny Smith apple
10 slices thick bacon
1 can beef broth
1 tbsp. brown sugar
4 tbsp. bacon grease (opt.)
  
Cut bacon into small pieces and fry until crisp. Put sauerkraut and shredded cabbage into electric fry pan. Dice apple and onion and add to sauerkraut and cabbage. Bring to a simmer for 1 hour, adding water as it simmers. At this point, add the fried bacon, grease, brown sugar and broth. Simmer for 1 hour. Always add water right from the start and as you go along. This is important so that the Kapusta won't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. Also, be sure to stir the mixture during cooking.

Or you could just not cook it at all.  I haven't made food that needed be thrown out immediately since Natalie and I tried to make a vegetarian casserole in 2000.  What a waste of a good pork soup stock...

I haven't read any of the book or listened to any new music.  I was too traumatized by my Kapusta to be interested in much else. 

3 comments:

  1. So I finally Started Chapter 1. Only a month behind. At least I make you look like an overachiever. I do have a music suggestion, The Red Elvis. Russian Surf Rock at its finest. In the casserole's defense, at least we didn't have a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL the ingredients sound delish. How can bacon go so wrong?!?!

    ReplyDelete