Search by Recipe or Ingredient

4.18.2010

Russian Literature and Russian Food - Highlights and Insights

"If men descended from the apes at an unknown period of time, that is as comprehensible as that they were made from a handful of earth at a certain period of time (in the first case the unknown quantity is the time, in the second case it is the origin)."

In wrapping up my discussion of Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace, I think this is an appropriate quotation to leave with.  There are mysteries in this world for which the proposed explanations make no sense.  Tolstoy tried to evaluate the actions of mankind during war and he seemed to relish the actions of mankind during peace.  He had little faith that the later state would prevail, which also makes very little sense, but fearfully true all the same.  The truth is that we have no idea where we came from or why we do the things we do.  I'm not entirely sure we'd be able to have a moment's happiness if we did know.

As for the food that I sampled, many of the recipes I would definitely make again.  The Chicken Kiev, the stuffed apples or stuffed cabbage, the Koulibiac were all delicious; I enjoyed the lamb plov and the lamb with homemade noodles immensely.  I also would make the pierogies again, if I could round up enough helpers to abate the tedium.  The fried potato dumplings were delicious and would prompt me to fill me house again with fried oil smells.  I also enjoyed the vodka, chocolate or otherwise, and will never again be tempted to skimp and buy the cheap stuff.  Caviar is a wonderful treat to lift a gloomy mood or just to feel glamorous of a Wednesday night.  In fact, there are few recipes to which I could say I would not make again apart from that cabbage soup or the "Quick" Chicken.  

All in all, I would recommend Russian food to anyone.  I'm glad I started this project and glad that people followed me and encouraged me along.  I hope you will keep up the reading and encouragement as I embark on my next adventure with Brazilian food.  It may be hard for me to find Manioc flour and Dende oil, but I should at least be able to find some good Brazilian wines!

One note about Brazilian authors, I have started this morning with Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist and this is my first reaction:  I hope all Brazilian books aren't so short!  I'm almost halfway through it already.  It's a charming story about life's dreams and the hopes that most of us seem to abandon far to easily.  I am enjoying it immensely, but I'm afraid I'll be finished with it before I can cook more than 2 recipes.  Please suggest lengthy, weighty novels by Brazilian authors, if you know any, and I invite you once more to read along with me and add your comments about literature as well as food.  I will make a thorough search of Brazilian authors and post a complete list of my choices, in case you want to read ahead.  

Many thanks again for the support and thoughtfulness and look for my first Brazilian food post as early as tomorrow night! 




2 comments:

  1. Boston has great Brazilian food and shops, so if you get stuck, you can take the Chinatown up and go shopping.

    Enjoy!

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bethany. I found in the NYT that there's a sort of little Brazil in NYC too. I am going to scope it out this weekend. There are these wonderful little cheese rolls that keep popping up everywhere and apparently you just can't make them with regular flour. I am on a quest to find sweet manioc starch and sour manioc starch!

    ReplyDelete